Thursday, August 1, 2013

Here and There (Malaysia)

Now that we are poor, we are free” - Sitting Bull

Traveling on a budget is a bothersome thing. And, I suppose even in Southeast Asia a man should come to terms with the generality that spending money means he does not have that money any more. It is not green and it does not have a US president on it, so therefore it can be spent and spent with not a care or worry. In fact, some of the money is plastic and could readily pass for fake money, or money used in a child's game.  Certainly, at times, treating it as valueless has been great fun, but it does indeed have value, and value enough to plant me in Peninsular Malaysia for two weeks trying to recover my budgets dignity because of
errant spending in weeks previous. Well then, first I battened down the hatches in Kuala Lumpur and then decided the big city was no place to properly relax while budget recovering, so I journeyed back to the east coast destined for the small shore town of Cherating. As is requisite of any big city, I shall describe Kuala Lumpur as much as it needs describing and then leave it alone to go about its big city business. It is special for its relative diversity of Indian, Chinese, and Malays. Of course, among them are a large group of foreigners, as tends to be true of any large and cumbersome metropolis where financial matters are the main concern. I had the pleasure of staying in Chinatown with all the other irresponsible travelers. Very well, I explored the city as much as a curious wanderer with no funding cares to explore a city. I saw the Petronas Towers, some mosques of varying significance, some Hindu temples of varying irregularity, some restaurants worthy of revisit, some standard Asian shopping malls with unnecessary size and more floors than reason would suggest, and a cast of malevolent street characters – none of whom brought me any joy, but they brought me no usefulness. When a big city's quality of individualism wears off, one merely walks about tall buildings and filthy back streets with little purpose and no objective; similar to the stray cat and dog, and like the stray cat and dog, he fills only his basis needs. This was me on my last day in Kuala Lumpur so I immediately booked a bus ticket to the beach!


Cherating was my beach of choice. It is pushed up against the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia like the jelly fish that are pushed up against its shores. The beach itself is one long tidal flat where the water retreats two hundred yards daily according to the moons influence. It is famous for two things, and two things only: sea turtles and surfing. As the season only suggested investing in the former, it is where I put my money. See, the waves are quite pathetic during our summer months.
They meekly lapse over themselves, groveling as they make their way to your feet, and once they get to your feet, they are so exhausted that they lay there with no energy to speak of; it is a shameful spectacle. If only they would embarrass themselves at another beach, perhaps one without such a high reputation! At least the flats make for good lounging about, and the rather sedate tides make for a good bathing temperature, surely. It was the most objective-less week of my life thus far. Seemingly, life consisted of sleep walking to the beach 100 ft. from my door, falling onto the sand and then falling into sleep again. I should only compare it to college, I think, where the classroom was the beach.


By and by, I found myself releasing sea turtles into the ocean. It is at night when the enormous 200 lbs. mother turtle comes ashore to lay her eggs and then retreat back into the warm ocean. My task was to watch her struggle digging a hole, then to watch her struggle crawling back to the water, and then to watch her struggle swimming against the current; I did a wonderful job. Afterward, my job was to set down a previously born sea turtle and let it struggle its own way into the ocean. It was a magnificent feeling to participate in such a rare and beautiful thing. We released 100 baby turtles in all. As they swam away under our dim headlamps, I couldn't help but to think how graceful they were once in the water, and how precious an event it was, and how meaningful my participation was, and how amazing nature can be, and how quiet the night, and how magical. Also, I couldn't help but to think that statistically, every single one of those baby sea turtles
would be devoured by malicious and starving fish not five minutes after we let them go. See, they cannot dive at such a young age, and as they float about, dumb and blind on the surface, they become easy prey for nearly every hungry thing in the ocean. If our headlamps were a bit more powerful, why, we could have seen it as it happened! The fish were fed, I suppose that is also magical.

Now, there happens to be some minor glitches in the whole thing: corruption and tourists. Of course, the witless tourist is led to believe he is helping conserve the species, and preserve their existence for all the future generations of this peaceful planet, but, indeed, he is a fool as his title suggests. While he is bathing in his humbleness and his good will toward Mother Earth, he is flashing the mother turtle like paparazzi at the red carpet, despite numerous warnings that it may just well blind its delicate eyes. He touches the shell and fins while she is on her quiet way back into the ocean, again, despite numerous warnings it could have negative impacts on the natural birthing processes of the mother. But, alas, he gets his picture and his story, so all is forgiven. And, the fee he pays goes in large part to the conservation of the species! In fact, more than half of what he pays goes directly into the sea turtle preservation project. What a hero he is! Why, if I believe that, I believe dogs and cats are old friends! If my fee goes in any part toward the honest preservation of sea turtles in Malaysia then Jupiter is a moon of Saturn, and the tuk-tuk ride is not a belligerent scam. God bless their souls, the people in charge of logistics. They are local volunteers who dedicate themselves to a cause that seems failing, and see no money for it. Every night they are out attempting to protect the sea turtles from the marauding villager who comes to steal the eggs and sell them, and the savage tourist who comes to steal common sense and never use it. May they be rewarded one day.


PS: all pictures taken here were done so WITHOUT flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment