Friday, April 19, 2013

Far Side of the World (Bangkok)

" Houses are full of things that gather dust " - Jack Kerouac


Before Departure:
In an effort to keep myself entertained, I will travel to Southeast Asia – the release back into unemployment; the seven vaccinations needed; the $600 malaria pills required; the prescription antibiotics necessary; the 28 hour flight to Bangkok in wait – all a good start in that general direction. I will be traveling alone, yet again, and only those I meet along the way will accompany me. I expect to find a miraculously foreign place, filled with unknown languages, strange smells, stranger food, wonderful people, odd landscapes, white sand beaches, aqua-blue and crystal clear water - the whole while under beautiful and treacherous weather alike. As always, I have made plans, and, as always, I expect those plans to be miserably misshapen and mutilated along the way. Countries on the itinerary are Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Whether I get to all of these will be up to Buddha, I suppose. Four Months seems to be an appropriate window of time to do all that I plan to do, so this is how long I have planned to do it, naturally. Here's to throwing myself at Asia; let us hope it catches me!

In Flight:
I would not be telling the whole truth if I said that I didn't feel a tad reluctant flying over countries like Syria and Iraq, in order to arrive in Dubai for my connecting flight to Bangkok. Civil war and international conflict tend to do that to a Westerner, I suppose. A rational mind does not stand a chance against an irrational thought, I've found. Anyway, my experience in Dubai was very limited, but as far as I could tell, luxury is the way of things in the city. I shall say no more and let the length of this paragraph reflect the amount of time I spent there, and my total knowledge of it. I must come back – this I know.

Upon Arrival:
Culture shock is as inevitable in a place like Bangkok as it is that it's streets will ever resemble anything other than what could be mistaken as, if only briefly, civilized. The man whose job it was to paint lanes on the streets here must be forever sad, as his efforts have been entirely ignored. The sensation and feeling of apprehension one should get before entering a taxi or tuk-tuk in this city is the same one should get before getting on a particularly rickety roller coaster, or before storming the beaches of Normandy even, I should think. The manner in which they function is not of this world; it isn't human. The driver I was blessed with left only inches between the vehicle in front of us and the poor excuse for a motor bike behind us as he was making blinker-less, blind turns into raging traffic; and he was highly certified, as he insistently pointed out a time or two by showing me the pictures of him receiving his certifications, rather than the certifications themselves, of course; while driving, mind you. If driving conditions should be classified as white water rapids are classified, the streets here would be Class-5 or perhaps even the catalyst to invent higher degrees. And the colors! The taxis are neon green, sky blue, hot pink, bright yellow, and eye-sore red. What a mess. Kind of a wonderful mess though. I'm not sure that I would want Bangkok to be any different than this. It is precisely how I imagined it would be, and not a measure off. This all after only hours in the city. Wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment